In case you missed it…
by Kathleen Klein
On January 10, 2020, a panel consisting of Megan Smith, Karen Bryson, and Noel Mendoza spoke about human trafficking and how attorneys can get involved to combat the growing problem. Some key takeaways from the program include:
- There are an estimated 40.3 million victims of human trafficking globally and an estimated 300,000 Texans are victims of trafficking according to recent studies.
- The crime of trafficking is using force, fraud, or coercion to compel another person to work or to perform commercial sex as defined in the Trafficking Victims Protection Act of 2000 (TVPA).
- Mosaic Family Services, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization in Dallas, Texas, has been serving victims of trafficking in the DFW area since Congress passed the TVPA.
- Mosaic is a safe harbor for victims of trafficking, domestic violence, and other human rights abuses. Mosaic provides shelter, counseling, case management services, and legal services.
- What can you do? Please donate or volunteer! If you’re interested in providing pro bono representation or additional training, please email Mosaic’s Legal Program Director, Kristine Cruz.
A link to the powerpoint from the program can be found here.