by Justin R. Gobert
DAYL Immediate Past President
Last year was an incredibly challenging year for all of us, including the DAYL. I am so proud of the way our committees and co-chairs responded to the challenges and made 2020 a successful year for the organization. With all of the great work done last year, it is difficult to choose just one committee and co-chair for recognition, but I am proud to announce the following recognitions.
2020 DAYL Committee of the Year – Judiciary Committee
Our Judiciary Committee was in the midst of planning one of their signature events – the Social with the Judges – when COVID forced everything to shut down. They did not let that set them back and they went on to host new and innovative programming throughout the year. Over the summer, they hosted a three-part virtual Coffee with the Court Series, including bringing in judges from other parts of the state. They then hosted a three-part Judges Making History series, which allowed us to hear the experiences of three judges who were the first African-American judges to hold their specific judicial seats.
Due to the committee’s creativity and hard work, our members were provided impactful interactions with our judiciary.
2020 Outstanding DAYL Co-Chair Award – Cali Franks
Cali Franks jumps in wherever needed and can always be counted on to get things done. Cali was involved in so many things for DAYL in 2020 that it would be impossible to list them all. However, a few examples of her contributions include:
- Playing a key role in the 2019 Leadership Class and helping keep their project on track despite all of the setbacks that the year dealt to them
- Serving as the event chair for Freedom Run, one of our signature events, and navigating the 20-year event through its first ever virtual 5K
- Serving as the chair of the Small Business Entrepreneur Program, an all day, nine-hour program providing advice to current and small business owners
- Serving as a co-chair of the CLE committee and organizing and hosting several programs, including what Kanye Can Teach Us About Litigation and the DAYL Legal Holiday Special
- Redesigning the Freedom Run 20 year logo, the DAYL 100 year logo, and the Trial Skills Boot Camp logo
She is always working hard on behalf of DAYL and she does it all with an amazing attitude. Our organization and our profession are better because she is part of it.