DEAR – Dallas Eviction
Assistance and Resources
Who We Are
The Dallas Association of Young Lawyers (DAYL) Leadership Class is an annual program that reaches out to young lawyers who want to make a difference in their community. Since 1997, the program has selected approximately 40 young attorneys to participate each year, with the goal of educating the class on issues impacting Dallas residents, community involvement opportunities, and civic engagement through a class project. The DAYL 2020 Leadership Class has chosen to develop project “DEAR – Dallas Eviction Assistance and Resources,” a community outreach initiative aimed at educating and assisting individuals faced with evictions, including those at risk of eviction because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Who We Are Helping
Do you live in Dallas-Fort Worth and can’t afford your rent? Are you concerned about being evicted? Have you been notified by your landlord or a court that you are facing eviction proceedings? DEAR is here to help you understand your rights and the eviction process.
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services ordered a temporary freeze on residential evictions which has been extended until March 31, 2021. Unless extended beyond March 31, 2021, landlords will be permitted to serve eviction notices to tenants who are behind on rent payments. If this includes you, the information below can help you handle the notice and lawsuit process.
Forms & Instructions:
- Stop Texas Eviction (en español)
- Legal Aid of NorthWest Texas (en español); Phone (214) 748-1234
- United Way of Dallas* (en español)
- Housing Crisis Center Dallas* – Phone (214) 828-4244
- Dallas Eviction 2020 Project; EMAIL DallasEvictions2020@gmail.com or TEXT 469-436-2704
- Texas Tenants’ Union (en español)
- Texas Law Help – General Eviction Info.
- Texas Law Help – Eviction and Landlord Issues
- Texas Law Help – Individual Rights & Navigating Court Proceedings
- Texas Court Help – What to do if you are served with a lawsuit
- North Dallas Shared Ministries (serves limited zip codes)
- Faith Formula (214) 964-0708
- Catholic Charities (866) CCD-7500
*Resources with a star may have access to applications for rental assistance or money to help pay rent. Funds are limited and dispersed on first-come-first-served basis.
Thank you to our sponsors without whose assistance we could not have
been able to print and distribute material copies.
Fish & Richardson P.C.
Armstrong Divorce and Family Law
Condon Tobin Sladek Thornton Nerenberg
Spencer Fane LLP
A special thanks to Deaf Mule, Victor Macias, and his wonderful team for creating the video content displayed on this webpage!
Disclaimer: This information and the attachments are legal information. This is not legal advice. Please contact an attorney for legal advice.